Ukraine Realizes Attempt at Incursion Into Russia’s Kursk Region Failed - Expert
11.08.2024
On August 6, the Russian Defense Ministry said Ukrainian forces had launched a brazen offensive in an attempt to seize territory in Russia’s Kursk region. The next day, Russian General Staff chief Valery Gerasimov said the advance deep into Russian territory had been halted.
Ukrainian authorities have realized that their attempt at an incursion into Russia’s Kursk region is futile and that it is time to wind it down, British expert Alexander Mercouris speculated on his YouTube channel.
“There are reasons to think that the Ukrainian offensive into Kursk is starting to fail and may begin to reverse,” the expert stated, adding that the Kiev regime “never set out clear objectives as to what this operation is about.”
He pointed to media statements by former Ukrainian Defense Minister Andriy Zagorodnyuk and Mykhailo Podolyak, head of Volodymyr Zelensky's office, that appear to indicate the Kursk operation, planned by Kiev well in advance, was conceived for the purpose of diverting Russian troops from other areas of confrontation, where Ukrainian troops are being defeated.
“But there is absolutely no evidence that that is happening to any degree […] and that any Russian forces have been withdrawn from the frontline,” Mercouris said, remarking that “if, indeed, that was part of the plan, it failed.”